Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Second Life of a Collage Element


As mentioned previously, I am working on a project for Mr Chuck Gillies period costume illustration class in which I am portraying the drowned corpse of Ophelia, from William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
I intend to show her from above, submerged in water and partially ensconced by waterlilies. In concert with my senior studio thesis work, I wanted to incorporate linocut print as a collage element into the image, like I've done here and here and here.
I will paint Ophelia, as modeled by the lovely Maria Sylwestrzak, in oil, with the waterlilies carved, printed, hand-colored and collaged in.
Now, to my way of thinking, if I am going to go to all that trouble for these waterlilies, the print should be designed in such a manner that it can function as a stand alone piece, worthy of being printed in an edition after the one-of-a-kind Ophelia painting is long since finished.
This is the waterlily print that I made and printed, from which some of the waterlilies have been culled to be torn up and pasted in with Ophelia's dead body. I set aside one of the hand-colored prints for my poor mom, who has to put up with so much of my crap.

No comments: