Monday, May 3, 2010

The 1,000 Crane Wedding Dress



As you may recall, I had mentioned before that I was working on a project for which I would be recycling the linocut peace cranes that I had originally carved for the portrait that I did of my buddy, graphic design innovator Kikko Paradela.
Well, it is now finished.
I give to you, ladies and gentlemen, The 1,000 Crane Wedding Dress.
There is a concept behind this. For those of you who may be familiar with the traditions associated with the origami peace cranes, supposedly folding 1,000 peace cranes can bring you anything ranging from a specific wish, to general health and prosperity, depending upon whom you ask. On occasion the families of young Japanese couples will fold 1,000 cranes as a wedding gift to hopefully bring blessings upon their marriage.
That got me thinking, why not just make a wedding dress out of 1,000 white paper cranes entirely?
That was the thinking behind this piece. Also, I wanted to work in an unconventional format, so I chose to paint this tightly cropped, extremely narrow vertical panel.
Here is a detail of the face:
and a detail of some of the crane collage:

At the student exhibition I intend to hang this piece and the Kikko portrait at opposite ends of my wall, so there will be some crane tie-in unifying the whole show.
The dimensions of this piece are 12 x 48 inches. Just think how perfectly a lovely narrow image like that could hang in your home . . . I guess what I'm trying to say is that this piece will for def sure be for sale at the student exhibition and Lord knows I need the $ for New York.

No comments: