Sunday, October 31, 2010

SANITY RALLY IN DC!

Yesterday I attended Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Sanity Rally in our nation's capital. It was wonderful fun to participate in something socially conscious that had sense of humor and was positive and upbeat, and I had no excuse not to go, since the sainted Arianna Huffington paid to bus New Yorkers down to DC and back for the event, and I even won a contest and was given an official Huffington Post Flipcam to document the event as a citizen journalist.

For my sign I considered doing Blame Canada! or something to honor the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but ultimately decided to make a simple picket that says DON'T PANIC in all caps helvetica, with a small towel stapled to it.Thats a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference, which I admit is really letting my dork flag fly, and most people didn't get it, even though there were others with similar signs. Like this guy:



There were a lot of awesome signs, a lot of really funny ones, and a lot of people went very meta with their signs.
For me, I did my sign because I think the message Don't Panic is an important one. We as a nation collectively consented to terrible things during the Bush years because we were afraid, and if the Sarah Palins and Glenn Becks of the world have their way we will all stay afraid and be their sheeple.

The new is in. CBS has reported that there were approximately 215,000 people at the rally (which is twice as many normal people as Glenn Beck had nutbags at his rally)
This is the video of us stepping out into the massive crowds on the national mall



and here is a vid I made of some funny people selling Obama condoms



And all in all, I think the rally was big fun. I don't know if it will make a difference in the way our slimy politicians talk or in the way our media covers them, but I'm sane enough not to get too bent out of shape over it.

1 comment:

Joana said...

I think my friend Rachel would buy that sign from you, shes in the business of signs, and picketing, and coincidentally is also from detroit





also what can you tell me of the juggalos?