Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scarecrow


Let me start off by saying that this painting is one of my personal favorite pieces that I have done.
It started off in the sketchbook as a doodle of a scarecrow with a mess of tropical brightly colored tropical birds up and down both arms. I decided to use it as a forum for a portrait of a living person instead of a scarecrow. It was somewhat of a collision of fate, since I wanted to paint Sean Nemoto one more time before leaving CCS, and also because my friend Tracey Jean Dalton happened to have a Moluccan cockatoo that she graciously permitted me to photograph.
As I was refining the sketch for the image, I looked at it and could see the same fixation with religion that always seems to bubble up in my art. Does not the pose remind you of the crucifixion?
And in a strange way, the entire composition is reminiscent of Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper.
Don't see it?
Look again:Also, it should be mentioned that when the time came to photograph the piece, all of the illustration departments photo equipment was mysteriously missing. I had to go over to the photo department and bum equipment from the studio tech, Tarine Doolittle. That went pretty well for me because she ever so kindly let me use her Canon 7d to document this and a few other painting. CCS students, even across departments, can be really sweet and helpful even during the most stressful times of the year.

Anyway, Scarecrow was a pleasure to paint, and I am very proud of the results.
The dimensions on the piece are 48 inches wide by 18 inches high. Perfect manteltop proportions! You should come to the CCS student exhibition and BUY THIS because when I get to New York City in August I will certainly need the money.

3 comments:

Angelo Rabbit said...

Any way I can get a print of this? I love this piece. Ill pay! :D

Veronica Bayagich said...

Love the second picture and this piece!

A.E. Kieren said...

the print can be arranged